Identity is something in which everyone struggles. As humans, we are constantly discontent. This is my second college and I am nineteen years old. I have been attending UMBC for three semesters now and frankly, I am frustrated with how large it is. (I spent the first eighteen years of my life in Louisville, Kentucky.) I moved here to be with extended family after a very messy breakup. My favorite band is florence and the machine. I am also probably the biggest movie buff you will ever meet and my taste in movies is always evolving. The only thing that is constant is change. Frankly, this upsets me but I guess it is true of all of us. Being discontent comes with change and with that I believe that it is the journey that is important and not always the destination while creating your identity.
Word Count: 145
Word Count: 145

Wow, it must be really frustrating and hard to adjust to a new school when the only consistency you have in life is change.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. I'm coming from a high school experience that was very close knit and comfortable. I chose UMBC over College Park because it was smaller and seemed more friendly. But now I still feel lost in the crowd and the wide open spaces of the fields and parking lots that fill the spot of what should be a college town or something interesting. I think it would be a great improvement to the school if they put a giant playground (no joke) in the middle of one of the fields. it would take up negative space and be a place that people could go to chill and be care-free for a little while.
ReplyDeleteI was terrified of attending school out of state when I was applying to colleges. Is it difficult being away from your hometown? And I went to a small high school (my graduating class was 69 people), so I can relate to your frustration with the size of UMBC.
ReplyDeleteMy high school class wasn't over 200 students (all girls). The majority of the girls I hung out with were girls I had known for 10 years or more. Coming to UMBC was a big change. There's so many people, but thankfully they are pretty friendly. I can't begin to imagine how a larger school would be. UMBC is big enough.
ReplyDeleteThank you all for commenting. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who feels that UMBC is overwhelming and often times unfriendly. And yes, I am very homesick.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear your experience with UMBC hasn't been to great. I hope you can get back to your true home where you love.
ReplyDeleteIts funny, you're the first person I've ever heard say that UMBC is a large school. I guess its just a perspective that I've never seen before here. I'm sorry that you don't feel very welcome at UMBC, but, I assure you that there some pretty welcoming people and institutions here
ReplyDeleteWe all want something to be the same, but that can never happen, in some respect it is good to know change so you can learn how to adapt to it. I love music, what's your favorite genre?
ReplyDeleteHey! You asked me how the firehouse was in Germany and it was a crazy experience. The rooms and walls were completely blank, almost like we were in some kind of institution. And, our bathroom was way down the hall as well as our shower...it was pretty strange, but something I'll never forget :)
ReplyDeleteAs a freshman I fell the same way about UMBC. It's hard but I'm finally getting used to things.
Good stuff, the rock from the 70s is great, I like to think that I have a good collection of rock from a bunch of genre's, what band(s) are your favorite?
ReplyDelete