Thursday, October 7, 2010

Establishing Trends with Ear Ecstasy

There is a place in my slow-moving, well-loved, metro-city hometown of Louisville, Kentucky that  is affectionately known as “ear-X-tacy.”  It is a music, movie, and memorabilia store that has been around for fifteen years and is also the unspoken hangout for every Louisville teen of all ages. Not only is this store a great example of subculture at its best as it gives all underground punk and independent music/movies a chance, it also is the home to young teens' many memories of hopeful weekends, and long summer nights. Ear-X-tacy a place that matters because it is the home to hopeful upcoming artists and it is also keeping compact discs alive and well as people do not buy cds half as much as they used to because of inventions such as “iTunes” and “Amazon.” This crying shame ceases the social interaction or outing meant for bonding with friends while you search for the next cool artist. This large, brick-walled building amplifies and displays the fact that new cds or artists means that there are cool new trends to go along with that such as demeanor and fashion which therefore continuously sets the trend for youth culture. Trendsetting for culture is obviously a necessity for setting the norms, folkways, and mannerisms of society which is why Ear-X-tacy is a place that matters.    
Word count: 228

11 comments:

  1. On the 7th line, the sentence starts with a lower case "is" and doesn't make sense for the sentence. I'm guessing it's not supposed to be there? I love the way you talk about how the social interaction aspect has suffered because of iTunes and Amazon. I admit that I have never actually been out shopping for music or movies since it is much more convenient online, and after reading I see a different side that gives more meaning than just clicking Purchase on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your stance on losing the experience of actually going out and hunting for the new great band and think you do a good job of defending your place. I really liked the concept behind your sentence that starts "This large, brick-walled building.." but I think the structure of the sentence is a little confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I had never really considered a social aspect to someplace like a record store. I guess in my mind teenagers hanging out in record stores listening to music all afternoon only happened in movies. The last real record store in my town went out of business years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't quite understand what "This crying shame" is referring to. But I love that you chose a music/movie store that isn't one of those large companies. (Also, I think I want to visit this place!)

    Think about maybe putting your statement about Ear-X-tacy as a place that matters at the beginning of the blog as the first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this, but its teens not "teen" after Louisville. I liked how you elaborated into the music scene there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Trendsetting for culture is obviously a necessity for setting the norms, folkways, and mannerisms of society which is why Ear-X-tacy is a place that matters"

    Thats a very interesting point. I like how sociological concepts can be linked into everyday life through places like this. If you look at it on the outside, you wouldn't see that but after you analyze it, its very clear

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really can't find too much wrong with your blog. It really makes me curious to learn more about this place, and a little jealous that there isn't something like that near me! The only thing I would say is to be a little more specific on the place's atmosphere other than a teen's hangout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this. And it makes me wish that there were stores like this around where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This place really sounds interesting! I liked your blog, but I think that some of your sentences were a bit confusing. The sentence with your link seems to be a run-on sentence and I got lost in the sentences towards the end. It's nothing too serious. I just felt the need to reread your last few sentences for more clarification, but I liked your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much guys. You were really really helpful! And a confidence booster! LOL

    ReplyDelete